Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again


I've been a huge slacker. I got sick of listening to my own thoughts on my travels so I stopped writing for about a month. But people have been asking for updates and I felt inspired this week. So here we go.


First I wanted to mention yesterday's trip to Richmond. I had lunch at a cute little coffee shop like place called The Urban Farmhouse Market and Cafe. The menu was relatively small and there were a few vegetarian choices. The thing that I found most interesting though was the sweetener choices for the unsweetened iced tea. They had Sugar in the Raw, honey, and blue agave extract. I was confused but apparently blue agave is a sweetener with a low glycemic index. And it was actually pretty good. So, if you are interested in natural alternatives to refined sugar, there you go.


Now, on to the real review. Tonight I flew into Memphis on my way to some other no where land in Arkansas. I decided my best bet was to try to find something in Memphis before getting on the road. I drove through a neighborhood with super beautiful big homes and found myself at Fuel Cafe. I was a little nervous by the looks of the neighborhood that I was under dressed and would be spending a fortune. No problems. It was absolutely gorgeous out so I sat on the front deck area. I have no idea what the inside looks like so I can't comment. The deck is nothing fancy at all. Its basically like a large concrete patio with an overhang. In fact, when I drove up to the restaurant, it kind of looked like an old gas station that had been converted. Not sure if the name of the place brought this to my head, but I digress.


The menu has a lot of different choices for non-vegetarians and a few for veggies. I was pretty excited to see a choice that we can't get everywhere else, the Vegetarian Cheese Walnut Loaf. It is a meatloaf substitute made from walnuts, cheese, and vegetable protein served with mashed potatoes, greens, and a mushroom gravy. It was awesome!!! No kidding. I don't know what the greens were seasoned with but they were the perfect consistency (not too soggy) and were spicy but not too hot. The meatloaf was fantastic. It was not the consistency of actual ground beef but it had this awesome nutty flavor with a hint of sweetness. The mashed potatoes were mashed potatoes. I'm still of the opinion that my mom makes the best mashed potatoes on the planet so they didn't knock my socks off but were good. Try it out! Seriously. I think you will enjoy it.


The restaurant does not have a website but here is a link to check out the menu. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/50/1508868/restaurant/Midtown/Fuel-Cafe-Memphis

No comments:

Post a Comment