Thursday, June 10, 2010

Jack Talk Thai

Usually when I find a place to blog about, I try to focus on things you can't find in every city. I love Thai food, but generally won't blog about it because I think everywhere I've been, I have found Thai food. (Yes, that includes Hickory, NC.) However, today I had the yummiest lunch I've had in a while.
I have been to Hartford a number of times both for work and for pleasure, as my sister lives about 20 minutes outside of the city. I had a hearing there today and met her boyfriend for lunch at Tamarind Grill, a Thai and Malaysian restaurant. They had your typical Thai dishes (Phad Thai, Drunken Noodles, Assorted Curries) but I wanted to try something a little different. They had a selection of lunch specials and I opted for the Mango Tofu, which consists of tofu, mango, fresh basil, and peppers in a mango sauce. It could be ordered mild, medium spicy, or hot so of course I got the hot. Each lunch special comes with a choice brown, white, or vegetable fried rice and chicken satay, shrimp shumai or vegetable spring rolls.
The service was super quick so don't worry if you have time constraints. I mean honestly, our food was out in about 5 minutes. And I want to eat it every day. I love mango to begin with but I didn't know it could be so special. The contrast of the mango sweetness with the spicy chili in the sauce was amazing. I love hot food but I am disappointed when it is only hot with no flavor. I don't just want my mouth to be on fire. This was flavorful heat. Not so hot that it cleared my sinuses (yay wasabi!) but enough to make me sweat a little under the eyes. And the tofu was done very well. It was nice and crispy on the outside but not too tough that you wouldn't be able to cut it with your fork.
For those of you that travel with meat eaters, the menu was quite lengthy so anyone should be able to find something. Check it out, I promise you won't be disappointed.
Here is the link to their website: www.tamarindhartford.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment