Tuesday, February 16, 2010

City Mouse Meets Country Mouse


After leaving Cootie Brown's last night, I drove to my final destination on this trip, Bristol Virginia. I checked into my hotel and started searching online for local vegetarian friendly restaurants to repeatedly receive the message "Sorry, your search was unable to find results. Please change your search parameters." Um, not really an option since this is where I was going to be for at least the next 18 hours.

I did however find their premier upscale restaurant, The Brooklyn Grill & Cafe. Problem, no website means no previewing the menu ahead of time. So I figured I would just go, check it out, and worst case scenario, I could probably find a Subway for a Veggie Delight.

The restaurant is situated on the side of the road and could easily have blended in with the other random buildings and strip malls if not for the 7 foot Statue of Liberty in front. I was pleased to see a few different options on the menu posted on the wall outside the front door, including a stuffed eggplant appetizer, assorted salads, and a grilled vegetable pita. In I walked in and transported back to what I would describe as upscale in the fabulous 80s. The back wall was adorned with a mural of the NYC skyline. The rest of the restaurant was all shades of grey with grey, pink, green, and gold glitter table cloths. I was starting to doubt the wisdom of this choice but took my seat.

I was eased by the sounds of Mr. Tony Bennett serenading me as I awaited my hot tea and water. I opted for the grilled portabello mushroom sandwich. Did I mention this place had great music. As I sat I grooved to Dean, Sammy, Frank, Tony, Ella, and the incomparable Lady Day. And then my sandwich came. It was advertised as being served on a kaiser roll but anyone outside of the Philadelphia area knows that the rest of the world has no idea what a kaiser roll actually is. Therefore, I wasn't too disappointed when it arrived on a fancy looking hamburger bun. The mushroom was topped with melted Swiss, tomato, onion, and mixed greens. It was delicious! The interplay of the flavors of whatever they used to marinate the mushroom and the roasted red pepper mayo was truly special. It also came with a perfectly crunchy dill pickle and kettle chips. The chips looked like they were bar-b-que but actually had a tomato-basil flavor.

I admit, what qualifies as upscale is all relative to where you live and your life experience. I imagine that a meal at this little flashback of a restaurant really is quite the place for a night on the town in Bristol. This is probably just my big city snobbery showing. There were four other patrons in the place for lunch and in jeans and a nice sweater, I was the most dressed down so I guess I actually looked the fool. If you are ever in town for whatever reason people come to Bristol VA, pull out the slacks and heels for a trip to a tribute to NYC.

3 comments: