Monday, February 15, 2010

In Search of a Dream Underneath the Tennessee Moon


When I pulled out of Tri Cities Regional Airport I was feeling a little discouraged at the prospects of finding something to eat. Actually, I was discouraged at the prospect of finding anything other than snow flurries and darkness. However, after a 10-15 minute drive, I spied a Burger King so I knew there was some civilization. Civilization that included Cootie Brown's "Real Food".


I was led to my rainbow swirl painted table in the main dining room and sat to take in all that was around me. Looking up revealed blue painted exposed beam ceilings strung with light bulbs. The walls were all mosaic tiled in reds, yellows, blues, and greens. Each of the tables were painted or tiled in different patterns and styles. The whole place had a light airy outside feel, but a warm summery outside, not the snowy winter.


The menu also offered plenty of things to feel good about. This is a place that meat eaters and vegetarians alike could enjoy. There were plenty of options for everyone including appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, and dinner entrees. There were non-meat options in each category and even the tamales could be ordered with chicken, steak, or black beans.


When my tied dye clad server came to take my order, I opted for one of the three veggie burger options, the black bean burger with a side salad. (You have the options of spiral fries as a side as well.) The side salad was good; mixed greens with diced tomatoes, cucumber slices, and some red onion, topped with shredded cheddar and croutons. The black bean burger patty itself was too much for my wheat bun to handle. It was covered with melted cheddar and came with a side of sour cream and pico de gallo. The patty was a little softer than I prefer. Since it was hanging over the side of the bun, I ate the outside edges of the patty itself first. Alone, there was something strange about the taste. However, the combination of the burger with the cheese, bun, pico and sour cream was really delicious. The only complaint I have about the experience was watching UConn beating up on my Wildcats, though, I was thankful to have had to opportunity to watch it at all.


So if you find yourself in Johnson City Tennessee, check out Cootie Brown's. I highly doubt you will be disappointed. http://www.cootiebrowns.com/

1 comment:

  1. hmmmm, I don't know about this one. The atmosphere sounds interesting, but the "something strange about the taste" part, does not have me wanting to eat here.

    ReplyDelete